Research Supervisor, Doctor of Economics, Full Professor, Honored Scholar of the Russian Federation
Year of Birth: 1942.
Marital status: married, with a daughter.
- Technical Vocational School No. 14 (Moscow)
- Moscow Institute of Economics and Statistics (now Moscow State University of Economics, Statistics and Informatics) (MESI)
Major: Automated Processing of Economic Information
Qualification Obtained: Engineer/Economist
Academic Degrees and Titles
- Ph.D. (Economics) (1971)
- Senior Research Fellow (1974)
- Associate Professor (1977)
- Doctor of Economics (1984)
- Full Professor (1985)
- 1959-1961 - student of Technical School No. 14 (Moscow);
- 1961-1962 – radio repair man of the 7th class, Television Set Repair Shop No.15 (Moscow);
- 1962-1967 - student of the Moscow Institute of Economics and Statistics;
- 1966-1975 - Junior Research Fellow, Senior Engineer, Head of Sector, Head of Industry Research Laboratory at the Moscow Institute of Economics and Statistics;
- 1975-1983 - Senior Lecturer, Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Computer Processing of Economic Information at the Moscow Institute of Economics and Statistics;
- 1983-1986 - Head of the Department of Automated Processing of Economic Information at the Moscow Institute of Economics and Statistics;
- 1986-2011 - Rector of the All-Union (All-Russia- since 1993) Distance Institute of Finance and Economics;
- 2011 – up to the present – Research Supervisor of the Financial University under the Government of the Russian Federation.
Anatoly Romanov has been Chairman of the Doctoral Dissertation Examination Council D212.040.01 since November 2000 at the All-Russia Distance Institute of Finance and Economics. The Council has a right to examine doctoral dissertations on Finance, Monetary Circulation and Lending (theme No. 08.00.10); Accounting and Statistics (theme No. 08.00.12); Mathematical and Instrumental Methods in Economics (theme No. 08.00.13).
Anatoly Romanov has been Chairman of the Doctoral Dissertation Examination Council D212.040.02 since March 2008 at the All-Russia Distance Institute of Finance and Economics. The Council has a right to examine doctoral dissertations on Economic Theory (theme No. 08.00.01) and Economics and National Economy (theme No.08.00.05) (marketing, regional economics, economics, industry sector, industrial complex and business organization and business management).
Professor Romanov’s research interests cover a wide range of issues related to the theory and practice of economic management, construction and operation of complex economic information systems, IT-based automation of accounting and account audit.
While working as a research fellow at the Industry Research Laboratory at the Moscow Institute of Economics and Statistics, Anatoly N. Romanov was involved in and was an academic supervisor of several major research projects dedicated to the industry sector management system improvement and development of information support systems for the Ministry of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering; Ministry of Machine-Tool and Cutting-Tool Industry; Ministry of Light Industry; Ministry of Irrigation and Water Management of the USSR.
The next stage of Anatoly Romanov’s activity was his work at the Department of Automated Processing of Economic Information at the Moscow Institute of Economics and Statistics where he continued doing his research in the theory of economic information systems, management system automation at enterprises and organizations, and comprehensive automation of statistical and accounting information processing. A theoretical concept of automated accounting system development was described. The description was included into the Industry-wide Guidelines and Methodology for the Development and Implementation of the Accounting Subsystem in the Corporate (Associations’) Automated Control Systems. Gold Medal of the Exhibition of Economic Achievements of the USSR was awarded to the work’s authors in 1988.
While working as Rector of the All-Russia Distance Institute of Finance and Economics, Anatoly Romanov continued doing the research into the development of modern technologies used for automated processing of economic information, building expert computer systems for accountants, auditors, financial managers, and information marketing experts.
He was the supervisor of a number of fundamental and applied research projects including the following:
- Development of the Theory of Modeling Data for Automated Processing of Queries Made in Natural Languages
- Development and Scaling of an Automated Financial Calculation Information System for the Ministry of Finance of the Moscow Region
- Development of an Analysis Unit Model in the Automated Field Tax Audit Taxpayer Selection System, and others
The key issues that the scientific schools founded by him solve are the issues related to the modern technologies in the economic management automation; audit, financial management and accounting expert systems; and the teaching methodology used in distance learning courses. He contributed significantly to the development of the concepts and theories underpinning the new ICT used in online learning.
He worked as a research supervisor assisting 33 people who defended their PhD degree theses and doctoral theses.
In total, Professor Romanov has published more than 200 works (over 800 printed pages in total). The list of the publications includes the following:
- Avtomatizatsiya Obrabotki Ekonomicheskoi Informatsii po Uchetu I Analizu v Promyshlennosti (Automation of Industrial Accounting and Account Analysis-Related Economic Information Processing) (monograph, 1981);
- Postroyeniye I Funktsionirovaniye Slozhnykh Ekonomicheskikh Sistem (Complex Economic System Construction and Operation) (textbook for higher education institutions, 1982);
- Organizatsiya Mashinnoi Obrabotki Ekonomicheskoi Informatsii (Automated Economic Information Processing) (textbook for higher education institutions, 1978, 1988);
- Avtomatizatsiya Proyektirovaniya Ekonomicheskikh Informatsionnykh Sistem (Automation of the Economic Information System Designing Process) (monograph, 1988);
- Informatika: Dannye, Tekhnologiya, Marketing (Computer Science: Data, Technology, Marketing) (book, 1991);
- Kompyuterizatsiya Finansovo-ekonomicheskogo Analiza Kommercheskoi Deyatelnosti Predpriyatiy, Korporatsiy I Firm (Automation of Financial and Economic Analysis in Business Enterprises, Corporations and Firms" (textbook for higher education institutions, 1994);
- Informatsionnye Tekhnologii v Statistike (Information Technology in Statistics) (textbook for higher education institutions, 1995);
- Marketing (textbook for higher education institutions, 1995);
- Kompyuterizatsiya Auditorskoi Deyatelnosti (Automation of Auditor’s Operations) (textbook for higher education institutions, 1996);
- Obshchiy Audit (General Audit) (textbook, 1996, 1997);
- Ekonomika Domashnikh Khozyaistv (The Economy of Households) (monograph, 1999);
- Avtomatizatsiya Audita (Automation of Auditor’s Operations) (monograph, 1999);
- Sovetuyushchiye Informatsionnyiу Sistemy v Ekonomike (Counseling Information Systems Used by Economists) (textbook for higher education institutions, 2000);
- Tekhnologii Distantsionnogo Obucheniya v Sisteme Zaochnogo Ekonomicheskogo Obrazovaniya (E-learning Technologies Used in Distance Education for Economists) (monograph, 2000);
- Uroven Zhizni Naseleniya: Osnovniye Kategorii, Kharakteristiki I Metody Otsenki (The Peoples’ Standards of Living: the Main Categories, Characteristics and Assessment Methods) (monograph, 2002);
- Prepodavaniye v Seti Internet (Teaching Online) (textbook, 2003);
- Organizatsiya I Metody Nalogovykh Proverok (Tax Audit Structuring and Methodology) (textbook, 2004, 2009);
- Distantsionnoye Ekonomicheskoye Obrazovaniye (Distance Education for Economists) (book, 2004);
- Informatsionnyiу Sistemy v Ekonomike (Information Systems Used by Economists) (lectures, exercises and tasks) (textbook, 2006);
- Mezhbyudzhetnye Otnosheniya v Rossii I Kitae (Inter-budget Relations in Russia and China) (monograph in Russian and Chinese, 2007);
- Informatsionnyiу Sistemy v Ekonomike (Information Systems Used by Economists) (manual, 2008);
- Informatika v Ekonomike (Computer Science for Economists) (textbook, 2008);
- Samostoyatelnaya Zanyatost Naseleniya:Osnovnye Predstavleniya I Opyt Krizisnogo Perioda (Self-employment: the Main Concepts and Experience Gained in the Crisis Period) (monograph, 2010);
- Intellektualizatsiya Setevykh Sistem Poiska Ekonomicheskoi Informatsii (Upgrade of Network Economic Information Search Engines) (monograph, 2010);
- Modernizatsiya Nologovogo Kontrolya: Modely I Methody (Tax Control System Modernization: the Models and the Methods) (monograph, 2010).
- Anatoly N. Romanov participated in international symposia, conferences and congresses in Argentina (1998), Israel (2000), South Africa (2004), Japan (2007), the Netherlands (2008), UK (2009), Sweden (2010), the United States (2011).
Public and Community Memberships
For many years Anatoly N. Romanov has been a member of the Expert Council of the Higher Academic Degree and Title Examination Committee of the Ministry of Education and Science of Russia; a member of the Council for Audit Operations in the Ministry of Finance of the Russian Federation; a member of the Economic Council of the Federal Agency for Education; a member of the Presidium of the Board of Rectors of the Moscow and the Moscow Region Universities; Chairman of the Audit Committee of the Russian Union of Rectors. He was President of the Institute of Professional Accountants and Auditors of Russia in 2000 – 2010.
He was elected Vice-President of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences; a member of the Board of the Free Economic Society; a member of the International Institute of Public Finance, an honorary member of the Guild of Financial Experts. He currently heads the Section of Economics and Sociology at the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences.
He is a member of the editorial board that publishes the collection of research papers entitled The Present and the Future of the Russian Economy and of the editorial board of the Economic Bulletin, the Journal of Russian Academy of Natural Sciences.
Awards and Honorary Titles
- Veteran of Labour Medal (1989).
- Moscow 850th Anniversary Memorial Medal (1997).
- Honored Scholar of the Russian Federation (1998).
- Honorary Worker of Higher Professional Education of the Russian Federation Badge (2000).
- The Order of Merit (2002).
- Award of the Government of the Russian Federation for the year 2003 (in the field of education) (2004).
- 100th Anniversary of the Russian Trade Unions Medal of the Federation of Independent Trade Unions of Russia (2005).
- Honorary Scientist of the Russian Federation Badge (2007).
- Order of Friendship (2011).
- Anatoly N. Romanov has certificates of merit and letters of merit received from the State Committee for Public Education of the USSR, the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, the Ministry of Finance of the Russian Federation, the Central Bank of Russia, and the State Statistics Committee of the Russian Federation.
- He holds Manager of the Year award obtained in the Moscow and the All-Russia competitions in 2000.
- For the Meritorious Service and the Revival of Science and Economy of Russia commemorative medal was awarded to him by the International Academy for Nature and Society; I. V. Vernadsky and V. V. Leontiev memorial medals were awarded to him by the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences; he also holds The Star of the Academy and The Knight of Arts and Sciences honorary badges.
- Anatoly Romanov has the following academic degrees and titles:
- Honoris Causa Degree (awarded by the Moscow State University of Economics, Statistics and Informatics) (2002);
- Professor Emeritus (awarded by the Tashkent State Economic University) (2003);
- Honoris Causa Degree (awarded by the Lviv Commercial Academy) (2007);
- Professor Emeritus (awarded by the All-Russia Distance Institute of Finance and Economics) (2007).